DOH provides for school nurses to be on-site at DC Public Schools and DC Public Charter Schools. The school nurse is responsible for promoting health and wellness and actively collaborating with students, family members, school personnel, and community-based organizations to ensure that the health needs of the students are being met.
The school nurse can:
- Assess and triages sick and injured children
- Provide emergency care, as needed
- Provide counseling on various health issues
- Provide care to children who are technologically-dependent
- Administer medications
- Perform health assessments
- Perform vision screenings
- Perform hearing screenings
- Perform Scoliosis screenings
- Conduct BMI Testings
For more information on school nursing and DC schools that have school nurses, please contact (202) 442-5925.